1. “Help others and give something back. I guarantee you will discover that while public service improves the lives and the world around you, its greatest reward is the enrichment and new meaning it will bring your own life.
2. “Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time, and always start with the person nearest you.
3. “An effort made for the happiness of others lifts us above ourselves.
Lydia M. Child
4. “Love is not patronizing and charity isn’t about pity, it is about love. Charity and love are the same – with charity you give love, so don’t just give money but reach out your hand instead.
Mother Teresa, A Simple Path: Mother Teresa
5. “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams
6. “There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.
7. “The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
8. “The purpose of human life is to serve and to show compassion and the will to help others.
9. “To ease another’s heartache is to forget one’s own.
10. “Success has nothing to do with what you gain in life or accomplish for yourself. It’s what you do for others.
11. “Let me do all the good I can, to all the people I can, as often as I can, for I shall not pass this way again.
12. “Never look down on anybody unless you’re helping him up.
13. “Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.
14. “Dare to reach out your hand into the darkness, to pull another hand into the light.
Norman B. Rice
15. “Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
16. “No one has ever become poor by giving.
17. “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
18. “No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.
19. “It is literally true that you can succeed best and quickest by helping others to succeed.
20. “It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
21. “Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man’s growth without destroying his roots.
Frank A. Clark
22. “The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
23. “The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit.
24. “If you light a lamp for someone else it will also brighten your path.
25. “There is no use whatever trying to help people who do not help themselves. You cannot push anyone up a ladder unless he is willing to climb himself.
26. “Nothing makes one feel so strong as a call for help.
Pope Paul VI
27. “Charity is injurious unless it helps the recipient to become independent of it.
John D. Rockefeller
28. “Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.
29. “How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.
30. “Successful people are always looking for opportunities to help others. Unsuccessful people are always asking, ‘What’s in it for me ‘